A Travellerspoint blog

Shibuya and Harajuku

A lesson for me in patience and crowds!

sunny 10 °C


So last night we ended up at a fairly traditional restaurant on an upstairs level looking down onto a street in Akasaka. I ordered what looked like a picture of a chicken dish which turned out to be bacon in spicy sauce with capsicums, onion and huge chunks of garlic. It was delicious! The boys, all wearing their matching vests, also chose matching meals and were happy with their beef, capsicum and onion. We then went for a wander around some of the streets in Akasaka and stopped in a few little shops, in one of which the boys found a drink called Cannabia (which apparently contains actual Cannibus) so that was an interesting find... We then headed home and crashed at around 9 after a ridiculous amount of walking for our first day!

We started today by heading to McDonalds for some hashbrowns as no one was keen for fish for breakfast, and when we tried to walk out of the store we stood there for a few minutes waving our hands at the sensor and walking up and down in front of what we thought were automatic doors until someone kindly showed us the button on the door to get out :/ We then rushed down to the subway feeling very embarrassed! We headed over to Shibuya (absolute pros at the subway by the way!) and came out at the Shibuya crossing. We were expecting lots more people but since it was early in the morning and also still holiday season over here there weren't too many. What was cool though were the loud ads projected onto the front of the high rise buildings. There were lots happening at once so it was impossible to understand anything! We decided to split up for 2 hours then as there were separate department stores for men and women and while the boys headed off to look at record stores and suit shops I headed into Shibuya 109, an 8 level building full of cute and quirky stores where the saleswomen dress up with lots of makeup and bizarre outfits and stand out the front and yell the sale prices across the walkways. It was a mess of noise and people and as there were big new year sales the prices were awesome! I ended up buying a very cute little Harajuku style outfit which I have no idea where I will ever wear but it was just too cute to walk past :)

We then met up and headed for a sushi train that Zac had heard about behind one of the department stores. It was crazy because when you sat down there was an iPad on which your ordered your food and then a 3 level track in front of you where your ordered food was delivered on a mini Shinkansen (Japanese bullet train). The price was great too as we all paid under $5 for a big lunch and drinks! After this we walked to the Disney Store to get out tickets for Tokyo Disneyland on Monday. I was just as excited as any kid in the store :)

After this we walked up Cat Street (one half was dodgy little stores and the other half high end brand names) towards Harajuku, where we again encountered ridiculous crowds and lots of yelling salesmen and women, and made our way to Takeshita-dori. This is a little back alley which us absolutely packed full of stores, street stalls, people and bargains. We found a 100 yen store where everything was under that price and got a few random souvenir items. The boys were fine as we walked along this packed street but sometimes I got lost in the crowd and had to stick up my hand for them to see me!

At the end of this street we walked across to go and see the Meiji-jingu shrine and although there were lots of people walking along the path with us I just assumed it was normal. However we then came to a section of the path where everyone was stopped and lining up to get into the shrine and we realised it must be some sort of event or religious day so we instead payed 500 yen to go into the gardens next to the shrine and walk through there. The best part of this were the cute little birds who would come and sit on your hand if you held it out long enough. Unfortunately for Nick they seemed to get sick of us before he got to hold one :( There was also a pond full of disgusting large Koy fish that kept opening up their mouths on the top of the pond and making Zac feel the urge to punch them in the face. Lucky for them there were too many other people around so we headed back out of the gardens and through some market stalls selling less than hygienic looking foods and onto our subway back to the hotel. We are now all sitting on our laptops uploading photos and deciding where to go for dinner. As it's a Saturday night we were thinking of having a late one, but I think we are all just too tired after another big day of walking and will probably just grab something easy and crash early.

Hope you are all surviving the heat back home! It was between 4 and 11 today so nice and fresh!

Posted by clairebear89 01:11 Archived in Japan

Email this entryFacebookStumbleUpon

Table of contents

Be the first to comment on this entry.

Comments on this blog entry are now closed to non-Travellerspoint members. You can still leave a comment if you are a member of Travellerspoint.

Enter your Travellerspoint login details below

( What's this? )

If you aren't a member of Travellerspoint yet, you can join for free.

Join Travellerspoint